Long-time Democrat spender big Lou D. wants to change the boating registration laws to cost YOU $13 to register every canoe and Kayak in the state.
FROM THE MARCH 1 EDITION OF The Boston Broadside:
Senator D’Allesandro of Dist. 20 has proposed
SB410-FN which, if enacted, will “establish an
annual registration fee for canoes and kayaks.”
The initial fee of $13 would include $10 to the
state and $3 to the store selling the decal you
would need to affix to your craft. Again, this is
a fee you would pay for each and every canoe
or kayak, in the state, and you would pay this
fee each and every year of your life.
The Department of Safety estimates that it
will cost $90,000 as a one-time programming
fee to enable the processing of the new decals.
Additionally, multiple people (and benefits)
would need to be budgeted each year to support
the program. ♦
Chances are, Lou would love to hear both sides of this issue, so give him a call.
His photo (Source- Wikepedia) and phone number from the web are below:
(603) 669-3494 Lou D’Allsandro
Or you can write to him at his office.
LOU’S PROPOSED LEGISLATION – A GAME-CHANGER IN NEW HAMPSHIRE
STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE
In the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Eighteen
AN ACT establishing a registration fee for canoes and kayaks.
Be it Enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court convened:
1 Boat Fee. Amend RSA 72-A:2, II to read as follows:
- [Canoes, kayaks,] Rowboats, sailboats under 20 feet in length, and sailboards [and sailing canoes].
2 New Paragraph; Vessel Registration and Numbering; Definitions. Amend RSA 270-E:2 by inserting after paragraph I the following new paragraph:
I-a. “Canoe” means a narrow, lightweight boat with its sides meeting in a sharp edge at each end propelled with one or more paddles. “Canoe” shall include a sailing canoe. A “kayak” is a small, narrow watercraft which is propelled with a double-bladed paddle.
3 Vessel Registration and Numbering; Exemption From Registration. Amend RSA 270-E:4, I to read as follows:
- Sailboats under 12 feet in length[,] and rowboats [and canoes] powered by sail, oars, paddles, or other human power. Any vessel which has an inboard or outboard motor shall not be exempt from registration except as provided in paragraph II.
4 Vessel Registration and Numbering Registration Required. Amend the introductory paragraph in RSA 270-E:5, I to read as follows:
- The registration fees for commercial, private, and pleasure vessels, including rentals and airboats, but excluding canoes and kayaks,shall be as follows:
5 New Section; Vessel Registration and Numbering; Registration Fees for Canoes and Kayaks. Amend RSA 270-E:5 by inserting after section 5 the following new section:
270-E:5-a Registration Fees for Canoes and Kayaks. The annual registration fee for a canoe or kayak shall be $10.
6 Vessel Registration and Numbering; Disposition of Revenues. Amend RSA 270-E:7 to read as follows:
270-E:7 Disposition of Revenues.
- Except as provided in [paragraph II] paragraphs II and III, all fines collected under this chapter and the amount of fees generated by RSA 270-E:5, I and III shall be deposited in the navigation safety fund established under RSA 270-E:6-a.
- All fees collected under RSA 270-E:5, I and III for vessels registered for tidal and coastal waters shall be made available to the Pease development authority, division of ports and harbors for the purposes of safety, navigation, training, and administration. Such sums shall be nonlapsing and shall be continually appropriated to the Pease development authority, division of ports and harbors.
III. From each registration required under RSA 270-E:5-a which is processed by an authorized agent of the department who is not an employee of the department, $3 shall be collected and retained by the authorized agent as compensation for processing the registration. The remainder of the registration fee required under RSA 270-E:5-a, and all fines relating to the registration or operation of a canoe or kayak, shall be collected and disposed of as follows:
(a) Fifty percent shall be credited to the fish and game search and rescue fund established in RSA 206:42; and
(b) Fifty percent shall be credited to the lake restoration and preservation fund established in RSA 487:25.
7 Vessel Registration and Numbering; Exemptions From Displaying Numbers. Amend RSA 270-E:9, I(h) to read as follows:
(h) A sailboat under 20 feet in length[, or any vessel that is only powered by oars or paddles]. Any vessel which has an inboard or outboard motor shall not be exempt from displaying a number except as otherwise provided in this section.
8 Fish and Game Search and Rescue Fund. Amend RSA 260:42 to read as follows:
206:42 Fish and Game Search and Rescue Fund. The additional fee of $1 collected under the provisions of RSA 270-E:5, II(b) for each private boat registered, under RSA 215-A:23, X for each OHRV registered, and under RSA 215-C:39, XI for each snowmobile registered, and the additional fees collected pursuant to RSA 270-E:7, III for each canoe or kayak registered, shall be paid over to the state treasurer who shall keep such fees in a special fund to be expended by the fish and game department for use in search and rescue operations. The special fund shall be nonlapsing. All funds received under this subdivision are continually appropriated to the fish and game department for the purposes of this subdivision. The fish and game department shall report to the fiscal committee on a quarterly basis beginning on October 1, 1989, on the expenditures made from the fund.
9 Lake Restoration and Preservation Fund. Amend RSA 487:25, I to read as follows:
- The fee of $9.50 collected under the provisions of RSA 270-E:5, II(a), and the fees collected pursuant to RSA 270-E:7, III,shall be paid to the director of the division of motor vehicles. The director of the division of motor vehicles shall pay over said fee to the state treasurer who shall keep the fee in a special fund to be expended by the department of environmental services. The department shall use $.50 of the fee for lake restoration and preservation measures, exclusive of exotic aquatic weed control, $5 of the fee for the control of exotic aquatic weeds, and $4 of the fee for the milfoil and other exotic aquatic plants prevention program. The department shall deposit the $4 into a special account within the lake restoration and preservation fund which shall be used to administer the milfoil and other exotic aquatic plants prevention program. The special fund shall be nonlapsing. All funds received under this section are continually appropriated to the department for the purposes of this subdivision.
10 Effective Date. This act shall take effect 60 days after its passage.