CATHOLIC MEMORIAL SCHOOL HONORS
BIDEN CABINET MEMBER MARTY WALSH
The Massachusetts Pro-Life Coalition, an alliance of seven Bay State pro-life organizations, is denouncing Catholic Memorial School for its decision to confer an award on U. S. Labor Secretary Martin J. Walsh, a militant proponent of legal, unrestricted and publicly funded abortion.
On April 1st, Catholic Memorial will present the Blessed Edmund Ignatius Rice Medal to Walsh in ceremonies during the school’s Spring Gala fundraising banquet.
Catholic Memorial—established in 1957 by the Congregation of Christian Brothers—is an elite Catholic secondary and middle school in the West Roxbury district of Boston. Edmund Rice, beatified by Pope John Paul II in 1996, was the 19th century Founder of the Christian Brothers of Ireland.
Marty Walsh’s opposition to Catholic morality is notorious, impenitent, wide-ranging and longstanding.
- In February of 2016, Walsh, then the Mayor of Boston, received the Men For Choice Award from NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts.
- In November of 2016, Mayor Walsh said he wanted to make Boston a kind of sanctuary city for abortions, should Roe v. Wade be overturned.
- In March of 2017, Walsh led a rally on Boston Common to oppose the defunding of Planned Parenthood.
- In June of 2017, Walsh named a square in the city’s South End after the infamous abortionist and National Planned Parenthood Chairman, Kenneth Edelin.
- In October of 2019, Walsh, the first Massachusetts mayor ever endorsed by Planned Parenthood, led a group of six Bay State mayors in a demonstration in front of the Massachusetts State House, calling for passage of the radical, pro-infanticide ROE Act.
Prior to becoming Mayor, Walsh, as a state legislator, supported “transgender” rights, the deformity of marriage, the imposition of buffer zones around abortion clinics, and the distribution of condoms to minors in public schools.
As Mayor, Walsh used threats, bullying and extortion to compel the admission of homosexual groups to Boston’s Saint Patrick’s Day Parade.
As Labor Secretary, Walsh is a ranking official in the most pro-abortion Administration in American history.
The 2004 directive from the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, Catholics in Political Life, states: “The Catholic community and Catholic institutions should not honor those who act in defiance of our fundamental moral principles. They should not be given awards, honors or platforms which would suggest support for their actions.”
Massachusetts Pro-Life Coalition spokesman William Cotter, the President of Operation Rescue Boston, made the following comment: “The award to Marty Walsh is a shameful betrayal of core Catholic moral beliefs and an overt violation of the prohibitions contained in Catholics in Political Life. It demonstrates a depraved indifference to the slaughter of 63 million unborn children since Roe v. Wade.”
“The corrupting message which Catholic Memorial is sending to its students is that political power and professional attainment are to be valued over moral integrity and religious fidelity. Cardinal Sean O’Malley, the Archbishop of Boston, must speak out against this scandalous breach of trust by a school entrusted with the formation of future leaders of the Catholic community.”
The Massachusetts Pro-Life Coalition, founded in 2017, brings together Operation Rescue Boston; Mass Resistance; the Massachusetts Alliance to Stop Taxpayer Funded Abortions; the Pro-Life Legal Defense Fund; the Boston Chapter of Helpers of God’s Precious Infants; American University Women for Life; and the Catholic Action League of Massachusetts.