For Immediate Release:
Boston First Responders United (BFRU) Stand for Workers and Civil Rights and Reject Mayor Wu’s Unlawful Forced Vaccines and Vaccine Passports
In the wake of Governor Charlie Baker’s and Mayor Wu’s forced Covid-19 vaccination mandates, hundreds of Boston and Massachusetts local and state first responders (police, fire, EMT’s) have circumvented their mostly silent union leaders to organize BFRU resistance to vaccine mandates and vaccine passports.
Considering Mayor Wu’s new edict ordering vaccine mandates & passports, we, the hundreds of BFRU members issue a call to action to our brothers and sisters in all law enforcement unions. We especially remind our fellow members of law enforcement that civil rights and worker’s rights cannot be suspended, abridged, or revoked in America. BFRU has the support and membership of regular civilian workers who stand against tyrannical mandates. Our membership is diverse and broad, with the shared goal of ensuring liberty & medical freedom. This assault on the American worker MUST STOP!
Issues and Concerns
• Law enforcement asking for vaccine passports is a violation of civil rights. Under Charlie Baker’s MA Police Reform Act of 2020 a law enforcement officer must intercede and report fellow officers who violate an individual’s civil rights. These policies will have the consequence of civil rights violations.
• Massachusetts law enforcement have no right to ask for identification without cause.
• We recognize that vaccine passports will disproportionately affect minority individuals and minority communities. We believe this disparate impact is in and of itself racist.
• We call upon organized labor to address these concerns. We question organized labor’s silence. Our rights are secured under binding contracts, and most recently Memoranda of Agreement (MOA) with municipalities and state government in Boston- with the most recent MOA being signed by Mayor Wu on or about 12/10/21. The great Boston Police Strike is a seminal moment in US history, and labor history and has been traded for polite, legal contractual negotiations which DEMAND to be honored. New civil rights concerns, worker’s rights, and forced vaccinations have not been fully vetted through the forge of negotiations. For starters, we believe any ongoing contract negotiations should be suspended.
• Lastly, we are concerned that former Boston Mayor, US Labor Secretary Marty Walsh has abandoned worker’s health and legal concerns on forced vaccinations and vaccine passports. Walsh’s political ambitions, and allegiance to the Washington elite are hampering the Union movement. We contrast his silence and inaction on behalf of worker’s concerns to the Labor Movement’s (particularly the SEIU’s) forceful voice for the civil rights of worker’s individual health decisions for HIV positive and AIDS positive union members and other workers during the AIDS epidemic.
We agree with the Reverend Martin Luther King Jr.’s wise adage that “One has not only a legal, but a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.”
For more information contact BFRU President, Sergeant Shana Cottone 631-338-3856 or BostonFirstRespondersUnited@gmail.com. You can also visit our website at www.BFRU.us